|12/05/18 - |
The new-look youthful Ada High girls basketball team had some things that didn’t go their way in a season-opening matchup with old rival McAlester Friday night inside the Cougar Activity Center.
• Ada had three freshmen start their first varsity game.
• The Lady Cougars committed 21 turnovers.
• The team missed 14 free throws.
• Tatum Havens, one of the Ada freshman starters, banked in a 3-pointer for the first bucket of the game, got into quick foul trouble and spent a ton of time on the bench.
• Senior Kaley Watkins — who head coach Christie Jennings hadn’t planned to play to give a preseason ankle injury more time to heal — was inserted into the game in the third quarter for her leadership skills.
However, despite it all, the 15th-ranked Lady Cougars defeated No. 20 McAlester 50-41.
“I thought we beat a pretty good McAlester team in a pretty physical game,” Jennings said. “I think any win this year is something we’re really going to celebrate just because of our age. Every one of these experiences is going to be new to most of these kids. It’s going to be a learning process.”